I write about nonprofit leadership because I wish I’d had a resource like this during my decade as an Executive Director. Here are some lessons that focus specifically on life as a nonprofit Executive Director, from a basic intro for a brand new E.D. to running a great board meeting.
I hope you find them helpful.
Lessons for Executive Directors
- The Five Attributes of a Great Executive Director
- Your First 30 Days as a Nonprofit Executive Director
- Planning For Disaster
- Why Thank You Notes Are Your Best Friend
- Nonprofit Retreats the Right Way
Managing Your Staff
- Handling Staff Burnout
- What Do You Do When You Can’t Afford Staff Raises?
- 5 Ways to Make Sure Your Best Employees Never Want to Leave
- A Slam Dunk New Employee Orientation Process
- The Secret to Managing Nonprofit Staff
Your Relationship With the Board
- How to Run a Great Board Meeting
- Building an Outstanding Board of Directors
- The Right Way to Interview Potential Board Members
- A Simple Solution to Nonprofit Board Inertia
- What is an Executive Session and Who Belongs at Table?
- What to Do When the Executive Director Hates Fundraising
- The 5 Big Fat Fundraising Mistakes You Need to Stop Making Right Now
- How to Increase Your Special Events Revenue
- The Perfect Fundraising Lunch
- Asking for Money: What’s the Worst That Can Happen?
Public Relations and Communications
- The Big Mistake That’s Hurting Your Nonprofit (and How to Fix It)
- How to Get Nonprofit Press on the Cheap
- Do People Understand Your Mission?
- How to Give a First Rate Event Speech
- On Motivating People
- How I Screwed Up My Succession Plan at GLAAD
- The Five Keys to an Effective Succession Plan
- Is It Always Better to Promote From Within?
Work With Joan
To learn more about how we can work together, click here.