They say you’re either the customer or you’re the product. When it comes to Facebook, all of us are the product. Well, our data is anyway.
And let’s face it, when you signed up for Facebook, you kinda knew what you were getting into when it comes to privacy, right? Most of us are willing to give up some of that privacy for the social connection that Facebook can bring.
And for nonprofits, it can go deeper. Facebook is used for fundraising and to express gratitude. To connect with people and build an audience. To spread a message.
Julia Campbell, President of J. Campbell Social Marketing is a Digital and Online Funding Strategist. She discusses whether nonprofits should align with this kind of platform and whether the distrust in Facebook transfers to nonprofits.
Explore these and many more questions. Hear Julia Campbell’s take on whether all age groups have the same mindset about the acceptability of using social media, the sharing of personal data, and how to make the most of social media with the least amount of effort.
About Julia Campbell
Julia Campbell has been involved with the social good sector her whole life, from coordinating food drives as a child to volunteering at homeless shelters in high school to her Peace Corps service in Senegal, West Africa and beyond. She spent years in the trenches at small nonprofits as a development and marketing director. In her current position, she consults and trains organizations on the best ways to use digital tools to raise money and awareness for their organizations.
The author of the new book for nonprofits, Storytelling in the Digital Age: A Guide for Nonprofits, Julia’s blog about nonprofit marketing is #3 on the Top 40 Nonprofit Marketing Blogs and Websites for Nonprofit Marketers and Fundraisers and is consistently featured in the list of Top 150 Nonprofit Blogs in the world.
Find her blog and contact information at: www.jcsocialmarketing.com
In this episode
- The pros and cons of facebook fundraising for a nonprofit whose staff already wears ten different hats
- Given privacy concerns, should we continue to use Facebook?
- Is there an impending mass exodus from Facebook?
- As a small nonprofit, how much do you need to know about tech strategy?
- Is social media your storefront or does it go beyond that to mobilize and engage?
- What is the extent of your responsibility to your donors and followers who access you through social media?
- How to best use social media to disseminate your mission and your gratitude
- What each social media platform is best for