Perhaps the question I am most commonly asked is this: How do I make the switch from corporate to nonprofit?
In particular, I’m asked about my own experience making this move. What was my decision process like? People want to know everything. Why did I do it? How did I ready myself? What was it like to make the transition?
My guest, Bill Abrams, also knows a lot about this subject.
Bill made his leap from corporate America nearly a decade ago, joining Trickle Up in 2005 following a career as a senior executive and journalist for The New York Times, ABC News, and The Wall Street Journal.
Under his leadership, Trickle Up has helped more than 100,000 women start businesses with benefits reaching a ½ million people in Africa, India and Central America.
In this episode, Bill shares his story, which all began with a phone call from a friend. Bill will tell you what he’s learned and share what he is proud of. He will talk about the ins and outs of making the transition from corporate to nonprofit. The nonprofit sector is lucky to have Bill and so are we.
Take a listen.
Who Is Bill Abrams?
Prior to Trickle Up, Bill served as President of New York Times Television, which produced current affairs documentaries for cable and public television. Bill spent twelve years at Capital Cities/ABC Inc., including five as Vice President of Business Development for ABC News. He began his career as a reporter and editor for The Wall Street Journal.
In This Episode:
- Bill’s “burning bush” moment.
- How to adjust the volume on your resume.
- The biggest mistake you can make in an interview at a nonprofit.
- Can you afford to earn less? Planning for the transition to a lower-paying job.
- Translatable skills from corporate to nonprofit.
- The only book you need to read about nonprofit management.
- Ways in which for-profit and nonprofit organizations are the same and different.
- A profile of the corporate person who will be successful in the nonprofit sector.
- What can you do today that will make a difference in the world that might position you for a career in nonprofit?
- The rewards of nonprofit work and the moments that make it all worth it.
2 thoughts on “Ep 16: Why I Moved From Corporate to Nonprofit – with guest Bill Abrams”
Great podcast! Gave me a lot to consider, especially with regards to demonstrating commitment/intentions. I thought I had done so all this time, but perhaps its not enough. I definitely plan to get Mr. Collins book, and I will see what courses I can take to enhance my background. I had a chance to check out the Trickle Up website and I really admire the work that Mr. Abrams and his staff are doing.
Joan, your podcasts are “goosebump stuff” … great topic, thanks for letting us listen-in on your conversation with Bill Abrams!