How does a highly successful entrepreneur – one of the foremost experts in building online communities – end up devoting his time and energy to making sure thousands of children in Africa have a chance for a daily education?
What motivates this entrepreneur, who no longer feels guilty about making lots of money due to the nonprofit he co-founded?
What can he teach us about funding a tiny nonprofit (only 2 full time staff) so it can make an enormous impact?
And how has he used his deep knowledge of how to build a raving fan base online to benefit his charity?
We cover all of this and more in today’s episode of Nonprofits Are Messy.
About Stu McLaren
Stu McLaren is the co-founder of World Teacher Aid, a Canadian charity with the mission to improve education in the developing world. This philanthropy has become his passion and his “big why.”
As the former founder of the world’s #1 membership platform for WordPress, WishList Member, he had the chance to serve and support over 60,000+ online communities and membership sites. Through that experience, he gained a unique insight into the subtle membership nuances that produce massive results.
Today Stu uses that knowledge to help his clients launch and grow high-revenue membership sites. He also coaches and consults New York Times best-selling authors, top rated speakers, experts and niche celebrities on how to launch, grow and scale high-profit recurring revenue streams.
His goal is to give to his charity the bulk of the revenues that come into his business.
In this episode:
- How a successful entrepreneur turned his eye to philanthropy
- Why you shouldn’t feel guilty if you do make a lot of money
- Why Stu chose to focus on Africa
- Why working insane hours is exactly the wrong approach
- How “touching the work” makes all the difference
- The impact of Oprah’s “The Big Give”
- How World Teacher Aid started (it’s kind of crazy…)
- Getting the right people on the bus
- How Stu approached fundraising
- How to make donors feel like “members”
- How to attract the people who want to get involved
- The keys to building online communities
- Stu McLaren’s Bio
- World Teacher Aid
- Jumpstart Your Brain by Doug Hall
- Joan’s free workshop (started May 10 — sign up now!): How to Build a Thriving Nonprofit
- Joan’s Book: Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership: Because Nonprofits Are Messy
- Watch Joan on GIVE on NBC
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost