From messes to remarkable victories, boards who step up to boards who are missing in action; from bad days to the days you save someone’s life… we all have tales.
My guest Darian Rodriguez Heyman collects these stories and spreads them, complete with practical advice and resources galore. His most recent adventure is the 2nd edition of Nonprofit 101: A Complete and Practical Guide for Leaders and Professionals that he edited along with his colleague Laila Brenner. I was honored to be one of the 55 voices he collected for the book.
Darian is deeply committed to helping the helpers and he has done so using consensus-based leadership and deep listening. Today’s wide-ranging discussion encompasses his experience as a social entrepreneur, author, editor, and fundraiser on the biggest challenges and opportunities nonprofit leaders face today.
Listen as he teases out resources on how to maximize impact in a tactical and practical way. Encapsulating disciplines of what needs to be done to run a successful nonprofit is Darian’s passion – he shares his insights on how leaders should face the changes in the political climate that affect resources, and partner with unlikely allies to reach across the aisle, effect change and send messages of hope.
About Darian Rodriguez Heyman
Darian Rodriguez Heyman is an accomplished facilitator, fundraiser, social entrepreneur, and best-selling author. His life’s work of “helping people help” started during his five-year tenure as Executive Director of Craigslist Foundation, after which he authored the best-selling Nonprofit Fundraising 101 and edited the best-selling Nonprofit Management 101 (Wiley & Sons). In addition to his active consulting, facilitation, and public speaking work, Heyman currently serves as a part-time Executive Director of Numi Foundation, Editor-in-Chief of the popular nonprofit online magazine Blue Avocado, and Co-Producer of the Gender-Smart Investing Summit
In this podcast
- How to move social impact forward
- How nonprofit 101 encapsulates all the disciplines of what you need to run a successful nonprofit
- The importance of finding common points in a polarized world
- How civic-minded millennials are filling the leadership vacuum
- Finding the difference between what and so what
- How does a polarized country with an angry society impact the sector?
- Millennial culture shifts and how that affects nonprofits
- What happens when you don’t trust your board members?
- What’s the secret sauce that distinguishes a good leader from a great leader?
- NonProfit Management 101 2019 edition
- NonProfit Management 101 old edition
- Blue Avocado Online Magazine for Nonprofits
- Joan Garry’s Instagram
- Explore the Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- Joan’s Book: Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership: Because Nonprofits Are Messy
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
- Voiceover Work by Cindy Cap Solutions