There are so many people out there who want to make a difference in the world. Your nonprofit is a vehicle for them to do just that.
So why can it be so hard to get people (or foundations) to open their checkbooks?
One reason comes down to a simple word… trust. If they give you their hard earned money, how can they trust it will do the most good? How can you show potential donors why your organization is the perfect vehicle to satisfy their desire for impact?
Is it simply about providing more data? Showing a graph of donations spent on programs versus overhead? (Hint… it’s not).
Phil Buchanan, founding chief executive of the Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP) tells us that defining high performance within nonprofits has a bit of a template.
In this podcast hear more about strategic giving and why you don’t necessarily need to be business savvy. Learn how you can achieve long term flexible commitments in an organization and communicate effectively so donors are confident they will see their dollars go farther.
Whether it’s data systems to track outcomes or finding ways to be in close touch with your mission, the importance of benefiting from knowledge that is widely available and educating your donors will help you execute your organization’s philanthropic goals.
About Phil Buchanan:
Phil Buchanan is founding chief executive of the Center for Effective Philanthropy (CEP), a nonprofit that conducts research and advises the largest foundations in the country, including Ford, Hewlett, Packard, MacArthur, and Rockefeller. He is a columnist for the Chronicle of Philanthropy, and his writing has appeared in the New York Times and the Financial Times. He lives in Lexington, Massachusetts.
In this podcast
- How can your dollars have the most impact?
- Philanthropic performance measurement in different fields cannot be compared apples to apples.
- The issue of competition in a sector and why this is not a zero sum game.
- How the desire for credit and attribution can trip you up.
- Why focusing on overhead undermines efficacy in pursuit of goals.
- What are the seven pillars of effective philanthropy.
- Giving Done Right: Effective Philanthropy and Making Every Dollar Count
- Joan Garry’s Instagram
- Explore the Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- Joan’s Book: Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership: Because Nonprofits Are Messy
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
- Voiceover Work by Cindy Cap Solutions