As a nonprofit leader, you’re all too familiar with the pressures of the sector — the long hours, the emotional investment, the need to be constantly “switched on.” This constant go-go-go can lead to burnout, decision fatigue, and a creeping sense of being overwhelmed.
Leading a nonprofit well requires a laser-sharp focus amidst a whirlwind of demands. That’s hard enough. And it sure doesn’t help if you struggle to control your own ego or manage your anxiety levels.
But what if there were tools, readily available and free, that could help us navigate these challenges with greater ease? And make us, say, 10% happier to boot?
This week’s episode features a conversation with Dan Harris, a mindful leadership advocate, bestselling author, former ABC anchor, and the leader of a movement to educate the world about the power of meditation.
Dan believes that mediation is the game changer leaders like you need to thrive.
He joins me in this episode to dive deeper into the world of mindfulness and meditation, and explores how these practices can help you become more resilient, manage stress, and lead with greater joy and clarity. Drawing on his own transformative experiences, Dan provides a refreshing perspective on mindfulness and meditation, tailored specifically for the hectic world of nonprofit leadership.
So join us as we dive deep into mindful leadership, Dan’s bestselling book (10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help that Actually Works –– a True Story), and what it really means to be the leader of a movement.
Tune in to learn:
- How did Dan Harris pivot from being a hard-wired journalist to a mindful leadership and meditation evangelist?
- What’s the ‘Monkey Mind’, and why is it critical for nonprofit executive directors, nonprofit board chairs, and nonprofit staff managers to understand it?
- How can the practice of mindfulness help leaders enhance their decision-making and problem-solving abilities in the nonprofit sector?
- How can understanding and controlling your ego lead to more successful nonprofit leadership
- What lessons can we take from Dan’s journey and apply to overcoming our own professional and personal hurdles? What does it really mean to be the leader of a movement?
- Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics: A 10% Happier How-to Book – Dan Harris
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works – Author: Dan Harris
- Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body – Daniel Goleman and Richard Davidson
- Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- FREE WORKSHOP: Let’s Build the Nonprofit Board of Your Dreams!
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership – 2nd Edition by Joan Garry
- FREE WORKSHOP: The 5 Practices of Outstanding Nonprofit Leaders
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
About Dan Harris
Dan Harris is the author of the #1 New York Times best-selling memoir, 10% Happier, and the host of the Ten Percent Happier podcast. For 21 years, he worked at ABC News, where he anchored such shows as Nightline and the weekend editions of Good Morning America.