You came into the nonprofit sector because you have a passionate fire in you about an important issue or cause.
Maybe you want to help level the playing field. Or perhaps you want to right a wrong or bring more beauty into this world of ours. The list goes on.
This fire ignites you and propels you to work as hard as you possibly can. In fact, it’s an essential ingredient to five-star nonprofit leadership, to successful fundraising, to effectively lobbying an elected official, for making music that moves people to tears — you know, the work leaders like you are doing every day to make a difference.
But sometimes working as hard as you possibly can set you on the fast track to burnout.
Burnout is an absence of fire. That’s what burnout means. Literally.
In this episode, best-selling author and global keynote speaker Hamza Khan speaks with me all about burnout (check out his viral Tedx Talk here). Hamza really understands the key causes of burnout and how to reverse its effects and even stop it in its tracks. And don’t worry — his recipe for not burning out does not include “get a meditation app.”
We chat about “good stress” (yes, there is such a thing), the distinction between an overachiever and a high performer, and the true meaning of the phrase “death by work”.
And he asks you to consider if you would prefer to be a human doing or a human being. I know what I’d prefer!
Click play to learn:
- What qualifies Hamza Khan as someone we should be listening to about burnout? (4:24)
- What exactly is burnout? Is the term burnout overused? (8:08)
- What’s the real difference between a high performer and a high achiever? (14:58)
- What are the stages that lead to burnout? (19:18)
- How do I know the difference between being fueled by the work and being burned out by it? (23:21)
- How do I avoid burnout as a nonprofit leader? (39:23)
- How can organizational leaders create cultures that avoid the stages of burnout? (47:15)
- Leadership, Reinvented: How to Foster Empathy, Servitude, Diversity, and Innovation in the Workplace by Hamza Khan
- The Burnout Gamble: Achieve More by Beating Burnout and Building Resilience by Hamza Khan (Paperback)
- Stress Index Test
- TEDx Talks – Stop Managing, Start Leading
- TEDx Talks – The Burnout Game
- Hamza Khan’s Podcast – Ideas Into Action
- FREE WORKSHOP: Let’s Build the Nonprofit Board of Your Dreams!
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership – 2nd Edition by Joan Garry
- FREE WORKSHOP: The 5 Practices of Outstanding Nonprofit Leaders
- Your Nonprofit Life Podcast
- Joan Garry’s Instagram
- Explore the Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
- Voiceover Work by Cindy Cap Solutions
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
About Hamza Khan
Hamza Khan is a best-selling author and global keynote speaker whose TEDx talk “Stop Managing, Start Leading” has been viewed nearly two million times. He’s trusted by the world’s preeminent organizations to enhance human potential and optimize performance. His clients include the likes of Microsoft, PepsiCo, LinkedIn, Deloitte, Salesforce, TikTok, and over 100 colleges and universities.