Who holds the key to a successful nonprofit leadership transition? In this episode, I will walk you through a 7-step succession planning process that will prepare your nonprofit organization for future leadership changes.
For many people in the nonprofit world, leadership transitions create anxiety. That’s why it’s your job as your org’s current leader to develop a strong succession planning process. With the right communications and work plan, you can be assured that your org — and its mission — will be left in good hands as you embark on your next adventure.
There are seven big things that you need to do for succession planning. Click play to learn what they are and how they will help you prepare your organization for the transition from one leader to another.
Click play to learn:
- What are the steps to a successful succession planning process? (2:02)
- Who really holds the key to a successful nonprofit leadership transition? (2:43)
- How long should a leadership transition take? (3:56)
- What role does accountability play in the succession planning process? (16:01)
- Ep 96: The Telltale Signs of Founder Syndrome (Part 1) with Rachael Gibson
- Ep 97: The Telltale Signs of Founder Syndrome (Part 2) with Rachael Gibson
- Rachael Gibson on LinkedIn
- FREE WORKSHOP: Let’s Build the Nonprofit Board of Your Dreams!
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership – 2nd Edition by Joan Garry
- FREE WORKSHOP: The 5 Practices of Outstanding Nonprofit Leaders
- Your Nonprofit Life Podcast
- Joan Garry’s Instagram
- Explore the Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
- Voiceover Work by Cindy Cap Solutions
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
About Joan Garry
Founder of the Nonprofit Leadership Lab, where we help smaller nonprofits thrive. I’m also a strategic advisor for executive directors and boards of larger nonprofits. I’m a frequent keynote speaker, a blogger, and an author on all things leadership and management.
I’m a woman with a mission to fuel the leadership of the nonprofit sector. My goal with each episode is to dig deep into an issue I know that nonprofit leaders are grappling with, by finding just the right person to offer you advice and insights.
Today is no exception.
Contact Joan Garry
- Connect with Joan on Facebook
- Connect with Joan on Twitter
- Connect with Joan on LinkedIn
- Follow Joan on Instagram