Belonging. It’s such a powerful word, isn’t it? Just hearing it can ignite tons of strong emotions in nonprofit leaders like you. My guest for today’s episode, two-time bestselling author, Rhodes Perry, describes it as a full-on sensory experience.
For many of us, the word belonging brings up thoughts about issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion as many of us are somewhere on our journeys in this area. In fact, this work is demanded of leaders in our sector right now.
A sense of belonging is something we all crave. In fact, we LONG for it (notice how the word “longing” is embedded in belonging?). But, with this much power behind it, what role does the word “belonging” play within our sector’s hierarchical structure?
My guest, Rhodes Perry, has some great insights on why belonging matters, and the role inclusive leaders play when it comes to building belonging cultures at work. We also get into how leaders like you can and should positively impact workplace culture.
Click play and learn how feeling seen, supported, connected, and proud can help you bring your whole self to the workplace (and encourage others to do the same).
Listen and Learn:
- 1:02 How does power impact the culture of belonging in the nonprofit workplace?
- 7:39 What is ‘belonging’?
- 8:42 What are the 4 basic elements of “belonging” in the workplace?
- 20:34 How can an organization support DEI commitments when the fundamental structure of work is at odds with advancing them?
- 24:26 What are some alternatives to a hierarchy?
- 27:50 Why is it so important for nonprofit leaders to understand how to use smart technology ethically and responsibly?
- 44:52 How do you know what kind of workplace culture you have?
- 46:12 What is the connection between workplace culture and decision making?
- Imagine Belonging: Your Inclusive Leadership Guide to Building an Equitable Workplace
- Rhodes Perry Consulting
- Belonging At Work: Everyday Actions You Can Take to Cultivate an Inclusive Organization
- FREE WORKSHOP: Let’s Build the Nonprofit Board of Your Dreams!
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership – 2nd Edition by Joan Garry
- FREE WORKSHOP: The 5 Practices of Outstanding Nonprofit Leaders
- Your Nonprofit Life Podcast
- Joan Garry’s Instagram
- Explore the Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
- Voiceover Work by Cindy Cap Solutions
Contact Rhodes Perry
About Rhodes Perry:
Rhodes Perry is a bestselling author, sought after keynoter, and an award-winning social entrepreneur. Nationally recognized as a diversity, equity, and inclusion thought leader, he has 20 years of leadership experience having worked at the White House, the Department of Justice, and PFLAG National. He serves as the CEO of Rhodes Perry Consulting, a global leadership and management consulting firm helping executives build enduring cultures of belonging.