Your value as a nonprofit development director – or somebody in any nonprofit leadership position – is not (entirely) measured by the amount of money you bring in.
In fact, sometimes the money you end up making for your organization comes in long after you are gone. You see, when you approach everyday leadership in a way that prioritizes impact and culture, your value extends well into the organization’s future.
Drew Dudley is a highly dynamic speaker and leadership expert who’s on a mission to help people unlearn the most dangerous leadership lessons.
According to Drew, we may not be in charge of what we need to get done everyday, but we are always in charge of who we are. He joins me today to talk about this and other valuable leadership lessons, and their impact on the biggest source of leadership in the world — the nonprofit sector.
As the Founder and Chief Catalyst of Day One Leadership, Drew Dudley has helped top organizations around the world increase their leadership capacity. His popular TED Talk “Everyday Leadership (The Lollipop Moment)” was voted “one of the 15 most inspirational TED Talks of all time”.
You’re going to love this one!
Listen in to learn:
- What are some of the most dangerous leadership lessons impacting nonprofits today?
- What are lollipop moments?
- What role does identity play in everyday leadership?
- What happens when you think your work matters more than you do?
- How can a nonprofit leader ensure that their values become intrinsic to their organization’s culture?
- Learn more about Day One Leadership
- The Student Leadership Challenge: Five Practices for Becoming an Exemplary Leader- by James M. Kouzes & Barry Z. Posner
- Learn more about the Memorial School of Nursing – Newfoundland
- Check out Drew’s book: This is Day 1
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership – 2nd Edition by Joan Garry
- Free Webinar: The 5 Practices of Outstanding Nonprofit Leaders
- Your Nonprofit Life Podcast
- Joan Garry’s Instagram
- Explore the Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
- Voiceover Work by Cindy Cap Solutions
Contact Drew Dudley
About Drew Dudley
Drew credits the Day One process with saving his life—he began applying the process to improving his mental and physical health. Recognizing how many people were struggling silently with similar battles, Drew began infusing these experiences into his keynotes, hoping to remind people that their scars in no way stand in the way of their leadership.
In 2018, Drew shared both his story and the Day One process in his first book This is Day One: A Practical Guide to Leadership That Matters. Today, Drew continues to travel the world sharing the Day One process with organizations of all kinds—aiming to redefine leadership for as many people as possible.
Drew Dudley is the Founder & Chief Catalyst of Day One Leadership, Inc., which helps organizations around the world increase their leadership capacity. His clients have included some of the world’s most dynamic companies and organizations, including McDonald’s, Dreamworks Animation, JP Morgan Chase, and over 75 colleges and universities.
Prior to founding Day One, he spent 8 years as the Director of one of Canada’s largest leadership development programs at the University of Toronto, and served as National Chair of one of Canada’s largest youth charities, which mobilized 35,000 volunteers to raise a million dollars annually to support the work of Cystic Fibrosis Canada.
Drew has spoken to over 250,000 people on 5 continents, been featured on The Huffington Post, Radio America, Forbes.com, and TED.com, where his “TED talk” has been voted “one of the 15 most inspirational TED talks of all time”. TIME, Business Insider and Inc. magazines have all named his talk as one of their “10 speeches that will make you a better leader”.
Drew’s first book This is Day One: A Practical Guide to Leadership That Matters debuted at #6 on The Wall Street Journal Bestseller List, and has gone on to become an international bestseller.