You know how you can tell if you have a great board of directors?
- Board members ask great questions at board meetings. And they’re not texting.
- They really work the room at special events
- As a whole, they exceed the group give / get
- The leadership pipeline is crystal clear
- The board chair asks the tough questions
A great board knows its role. It’s fully engaged in the right ways. It evangelizes and fundraises. It brings contacts and connections that grow the organization’s resources. It feels a sense of common purpose.
At its best, a great board serves as the strategic partner of the CEO on long term planning and short term crisis management.
Here’s some advice on building, managing, and maintaining an outstandingly effective board of directors.
Rating Your Board of Directors
- A Step by Step Guide to Assessing Your Board
- Cast Your Vote For The Ideal Board Chair
- How to Build The Board You Want
- Is Your Board of Directors As Good As This One?
Recruiting and Onboarding For Your Board of Directors
- Critical Interview Questions for Non Profit Board Members
- Why Everyone Should Join a Nonprofit Board
- Want to Live Forever? Volunteer for a Board
- A Template for a Great Board Orientation
Running a First Rate Board Meeting
- A Planning Guide for Board Meeting Agendas
- 10 Good Questions Board Members Should Ask
- What is an Executive Session? And Who Belongs at the Table?
- How to Write a Good Board Report
- What Makes a Board Meeting a Home Run?
- The One Thing That Makes Board Meetings Worthwhile
- What’s the Single Best Sign of a Healthy Nonprofit?
- The Relationship Every Development Director Needs
- How to Strengthen the Nonprofit Board Chair — CEO Relationship
- Hiring a Bad Executive Director
- How to Hire a GREAT Executive Director
Great Board Chairs
- Your First 30 Days As a New Board Chair
- The Five Star Board Chair Checklist
- Help! My Board Chair is a Wimp!
Fundraising and the Board
- Why Nonprofits Never Have Enough Money
- To Raise More Money, Recruit a Bigger Board (and Fast)
- How to Convince Your Board to Fundraise
- A Crazy Simple Trick to Help Your Board Fundraise
Work with Joan?
To learn more about how we can work together, click here.