In this episode, I’m joined by the CEO of Candid, Ann Mei Chang. Tune in as we talk about one of the biggest challenges facing today’s nonprofit leader: finding the right nonprofit funding sources to get the resources needed to make a real impact.
A lack of resources is one of the leading causes of nonprofit burnout. Even failure. And we live in a world that can’t afford to see nonprofits fail. Chewing on this issue got me wondering: “Are there nonprofit funding sources out there that are not being sufficiently taken advantage of that would help organizations have a greater impact?”
According to my guest, there are — but many nonprofit leaders and organizations simply do not know that they exist.
That’s why the work of Candid is so important for the future of our sector. This is an organization that connects people who want to make a difference with the resources they need to touch the work. But that’s not all.
Each year, nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. But where does this money come from? Where does it go? Why does it matter? Candid works to get to the bottom of these questions to allow for more transparency in the nonprofit sector and build trust with society as a whole.
In this episode, you’ll learn more about the many nonprofit resources Candid offers — including a directory of nonprofit funding sources, foundations, and grantmakers for fundraisers — and why you should crawl all over them.
Click play to learn:
- Are there nonprofit funding sources out there that organizations might not be taking sufficient action towards? (0:22)
- Is it a challenge for nonprofits to share data? (7:53)
- What does innovation look like for Candid? (27:18)
- What impact did the pandemic have on funding for the nonprofit sector? (32:56)
- How can we build more trust in the nonprofit sector and philanthropy? (38:02)
- Earn a free year of Foundation Directory with a Gold Seal of Transparency
- Learn Impact: How to Innovate for Radically Greater Social Good
- FREE WORKSHOP: Let’s Build the Nonprofit Board of Your Dreams!
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership – 2nd Edition by Joan Garry
- FREE WORKSHOP: The 5 Practices of Outstanding Nonprofit Leaders
- Your Nonprofit Life Podcast
- Joan Garry’s Instagram
- Explore the Nonprofit Leadership Lab
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
- Voiceover Work by Cindy Cap Solutions
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
About Ann Mei Chang
Ann Mei Chang is the CEO of Candid, a nonprofit that provides the most comprehensive data about the social sector — where money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Ann Mei leads Candid in increasing the social sector’s ability to do good using data, technology, and compassion. She is a social innovator and author of Lean Impact: How to Innovate for Radically Greater Social Good. Ann Mei served as chief innovation officer at the U.S. Agency for International Development and executive director of its U.S. Global Development Lab. She was chief innovation officer for Pete for America, chief innovation officer at Mercy Corps, and senior advisor for women and technology at the U.S. Department of State. She has more than 20 years of experience at Google, Apple, and Intuit. Ann Mei earned a B.S. in computer science from Stanford University.
Contact Ann Mei Chang
- Connect with Ann Mei on LinkedIn
- Connect with Ann Mei on Facebook
- Follow Ann Mei on Twitter
- Follow Candid on LinkedIn
- Follow Candid on Facebook
- Follow Candid on Twitter