The word “coach” can mean a lot of things, but for business and nonprofit leaders, an executive coach can make all the difference.
But coaching – rather than simply supervising – is also the best approach for leaders to work with their employees.
The importance of coaching – whether in the culture of your organization’s approach to leadership or explicitly with an executive coach – is the topic of today’s episode.
Maybe you think of coaching as an unaffordable luxury. After you listen to this episode, you just might change your mind.
About Michael Bungay Stanier
My guest today is Michael Bungay Stanier, senior partner at Box of Crayons, an organization that helps organizations do less good work and more GREAT work. Box of Crayons is known for its coaching programs that help managers coach successfully in just 10 minutes.
Michael was a Rhodes Scholar, has lived all over the world, and has written two books: The Coaching Habit and Do More Great Work. He is a sought-after speaker who regularly speaks to businesses and organizations and has delivered keynotes at conferences around the world. He was recognized in 2016 as the #2 coaching guru in the world.
Sufficed to say, Michael KNOWS coaching. And, today, he will share that knowledge with us.
In this episode:
- The value (and risk) of hiring a coach from outside your organization
- Finding the right “fit” in a coach
- Why coaching should not be seen as a sign of weakness (and how to address it with those who see it that way)
- Why adaptive change is more important than technical change (and what that means)
- Three ways coaching can happen in your organization, even without an outside coach
- How to build a “coaching habit” in 10 minutes or less
- Michael Bungay Stanier’s Bio
- The Coaching Habit by Michael Bungay Stanier
- Do More Great Work by Michael Bungay Stanier
- The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
- Joan Garry’s Guide to Nonprofit Leadership: Because Nonprofits Are Messy by Joan Garry
- Personal Best by Atul Gawande in the New Yorker
- Watch Joan on GIVE on NBC
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
Latest posts by Joan Garry (see all)
- 5 Signs It’s Time to Quit Your Job - March 23, 2017
- Ep 32: Even Roger Federer Has a Coach (With Michael Bungay Stanier) - March 18, 2017
- Dear Joan: The Board Fired the CEO and Took Over! - March 16, 2017