Working at a nonprofit can feel like an express train to Burnout-land. How do we avoid what seems like an inevitable crash and stay mindful and healthy while doing such passionate work? That’s the subject of today’s podcast.
You know who is all over this topic? Beth Kanter. You know, one of the most well-known authors and bloggers in the nonprofit space. THAT Beth Kanter. She even has a new book on this very topic. So I reached out and she graciously agreed to appear on the podcast.
If you’ve worked in nonprofit for any length of time, you probably know exactly who Beth is. If not, her bio is below.
The scope of this subject is really broad. So Beth and I tried to narrow it down to the things you’d most like to hear about. Beth helps us with some straightforward and actually doable ideas about how to take care of ourselves while still doing important work in an often stressful environment.
About Beth Kanter
Beth Kanter is an internationally recognized thought leader and trainer in networks, social media and data. She is dedicated to the nonprofit space and particularly to helping organizations build the capacity to increase the scope and impact of their work.
Named one of the most influential women in technology by Fast Company and one of Business Week’s “Voices of Innovation for Social Media,” Beth is the author of The Networked Nonprofit books as well as her new book, The Happy, Healthy Nonprofit: Strategies for Impact without Burnout.
If you don’t subscribe to her blog or follow her on social media, you will as soon as you’re finished listening to this podcast.
In This Episode:
- The five spheres of self-care.
- How to create habits that help prevent burnout.
- Some quick wins you can do right now to get on the path to better self-care.
- Four kinds of Executive Directors and their impact on wellbeing in the workplace.
- Ways Executive Directors are inadvertently making things much harder for their staff.
- How to implement “tech wellness”.
- The Happy Healthy Nonprofit: Strategies for Impact Without Burnout (Beth Kanter’s new book)
- Bio of Beth Kanter
- Beth Kanter’s Blog
- How I Put My Development Director on a Heart Monitor (by Joan Garry)
- Get a Life, Take a Vacation, Have a Baby (by Joan Garry)
- Music by Jukebox the Ghost
Latest posts by Joan Garry (see all)
- Ep 23: Unlocking the Mystery of Foundation Funding (with Molly de Aguiar) - October 22, 2016
- Feeling Overwhelmed? Try This… - October 19, 2016
- Ep 22: The Art and Science of Asking for Money (with Brian Saber) - October 8, 2016